Your First Dentist Visit
Full Mouth Assessment/Examination
A thorough examination of your mouth is the best place to start. Our holistic dental approach means taking into account your overall well-being and making it our priority to provide care that is suited to your needs as well as desires. When you visit our Auckland premises, you become part of a team to develop and implement a treatment plan to meet your individual needs after we explore options available to you.
The Dental Examination is a comprehensive “tour” or assessment of your mouth. It involves identifying any areas of existing or potential concern such as:
- Assessing if your mouth is susceptible to dental disease caused by external factors such as medical history, family history, previous dental treatments, behavioural habits such as grinding/clenching, fingernail biting, dieting and smoking.
- Dental caries (tooth decay)
- Weak or cracked teeth
- Checking for infections of the mouth
- Screening of oral cancer
- Excessive wear or erosion of your teeth
- Gingival (gum) recession
- Uncomfortable or clicking of jaw joints
Some diagnostic dental aids may be needed in conjunction with your dental examination to establish accurate personalized treatment options. These may include:
- Intraoral and extraoral radiography (x-rays)
- Saliva testing (testing the activity level of your saliva)
- Intraoral photography
- Extraoral photography
The good news is that dental disease is preventable. You can practice preventative dentistry on yourself by adopting these methods:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss or use interdental brushes every night
- Eat a balanced diet avoiding acidic, sugary, starchy snacks
- Regular dental checks including hygiene visits
Urgent Dental Care
For relief of pain or if you have a dental problem that needs prompt attention, phone or email us and we will endeavour to address it as soon as possible.